We all love our pets, so what better way to celebrate them than now during National Pet Week! Maybe treat them to extra belly rubs, an extra walk or an extra snack – but here in Pennsylvania, there’s another way too.
Years ago, PVMA created our pet photo contest in honor of National Pet Week. Any child in Pennsylvania in grades K-12 can participate. Here’s how it works:
“A MOMENT IN TIME: LOVING AND CARING FOR OUR PETS”
Children can submit a photo which demonstrates the theme “A Moment in Time: Loving and Caring For Our Pets,” and they could win a $50 prize.
Photos must be digital, and should be submitted via email to Lori Raver at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photos should be solely the work of the student
Email submissions should include the student’s name, address, phone number, school, and grade.
Deadline to submit a photo is May 31, 2016.
PVMA will provide a $50 cash award and a plaque for the first place winner in each grade.
SHOW YOUR FRIENDS WITH OUR ONLINE GALLERY!
Each entry to the PVMA Photo Contest will be added to our online gallery prior to judging in June so you can share with your friends! Submit a photo now!
We’re going to cut to the chase and address some of the ways our furry friends can become sick and how to prevent it. I guarantee you some of these possibilities are downright scary as many of them include things in and around your home. Let’s get started.
Cats and lilies don’t mix
Everyone thinks of dog as the ones who will eat anything – and they will – but cats can be sneaky too. Many forms of lilies are extremely poisonous to cats. Some of the most dangerous are known as the Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter, or Japanese show lily, resulting in acute kidney failure when eaten. Just 2-3 leaves or lily pollen groomed off the fur and ingested can be enough to poison your pet. While it won’t cause kidney failure in dogs, ingesting enough will cause some stomach issues. GET OUR PVMA FACT SHEET
Most people think of pesticides or other common household substances can be poisonous to pets but don’t consider that common indoor and outdoor plants and fruit leaves can be equally toxic. What follows is not a comprehensive list but can help you keep your pets safe around plants that can harm them. If you suspect that your pet has ingested any toxic substance, contact your veterinarian, emergency animal clinic, or poison control center immediately. Keep these important numbers by the phone or on the refrigerator so that you can find them easily during an emergency. GET OUR PVMA FACT SHEET
Endless things in the home could pose a danger to your pet, but human medications generally top the list as the most ingested. Keeping medications as well as household cleaners, first aid items, antifreeze, and other chemicals should always be kept out of reach of pets. Even harmless seeming items like chewing gum, caffeine, and some fruits and vegetables can be deadly. Click here to view a more complete list from Pet Poison Helpline. Pet Poison Helpline
As always, Pet Poison Helpline has an enormous amount of resources in it’s Pet Owner arsenal so that you can better educate yourself to prevent accidental poisonings. They also have a toll-free number – 855-764-7661 – which you can call anytime if you suspect your pet has been poisoned, or call your veterinarian.
National Pet Week is an annual event which is celebrated across the country to bring awareness to veterinary medicine and to encourage responsible pet ownership. It’s celebrated any number of ways – veterinary clinics having barbecues, providing coloring sheets and games for children, community outreach and more. Here at PVMA, we host a digital photography contest. Students from across the state are able to submit a photo which depicts the theme “A Photo Shot of Love.” Sometimes getting a great shot is about being in the right place at the right time, but the variety of subject matter is creative and fun. Take a look at a few of our favorite winning entries below, or you can view the entire winner’s gallery on our website. We look forward to next year’s contest!